Sunday, September 12, 2010

Red Wine Under $9.99 and Recipes for People Who Hate to Cook Meat

As a new hobby, I have decided to test and review red wines under $9.99.  The way I figure it, everyone wins.  I am often a sucker for marketing and interesting designs.  So, when I was at Publix, I couldn't resist the bottle - Mad Housewife.  It is a California cabernet and was on sale for $7.99.  Now, I am by no means a Mad Housewife.  Actually, I am quite the opposite.  But, the bottle looked so intriguing. 

I was pleasantly surprised.  It had a lighter taste and was very smooth.  For a cheaper wine, it didn't have that aftertaste that leaves you thirsty.  And, it didn't give me a headache.  I would definitely recommend.  I give it 4 out of 5 corks. 


For those who know me, I am not a big meat eater.  I especially don't enjoy cooking meat.  But, when you are married to a meat eater, you have to figure out something.  I don't eat meat on the bone, ribs, wings, etc.  I eat a burger once every few months.  I can manage eating chicken, but absolutely cannot touch it raw.  I learned this the hard way.  As a newlywed, I tried to cook a chicken casserole using full raw chicken breasts.  I prepared and cooked it, but was so sick by the end that I left it on the counter for my husband to eat.  I promptly went to bed. 

So, I have figured out some work arounds.  I often purchase the Tyson white meat chicken in the pouch.  It is already fully cooked.  Because I don't like the texture of it right out of the pouch, I do put it in a skillet to get it more shredded and to make it drier.  (At this point, I am sure you feel sorry for my husband...)

This weekend, I made a chicken, broccoli, pasta, and cheese casserole.  After shredding and drying out the chicken, I cooked penne pasta.  I steamed the pre-packaged broccoli.  I mixed this all together with a little cheddar cheese and poured it in a Pyrex cooking dish.   I topped it with the chicken and more cheese.  I heated it at 400 degrees until it was brown and bubbly.  I thought it was yummy.  My husband asked for more meat to be included next time.....  Baby steps.

No comments: